In addition to learning how to 'pace' ourselves as we get ready for the buddy run, 2nd through 4th graders have spent the last week or so practicing throwing and catching skills with a football. This week we took these skills a step further and turned them into a passing game.
The rules of the game are simple (and safe):
- The player with the ball can only pass the ball--no running with the ball.
- Once they throw the ball they can run out for a pass.
- If the ball is not caught, or dropped, it goes to the other team.
- When students are guarding the other team they must be 3 feet (about the length of your arm) from other players. No physical contact with other team (only the ball). If they do physically have contact the ball goes to the other team.
And, the final rule, one that I don't implement very often for a few reasons...but turned out to be a rule that created success for all students:
- Only boys can pass to girls and only girls can pass to boys.
While I will admit, I never know how each group of students will receive rules to a game, especially when there are restrictions to the rules that they are not used to. But, I am posting this week about Ultimate Football because I was so excited about how each class performed, and worked together as a team during this game. While yes, I had to speak to a few individuals that grumbled when I invoked the "boys pass to girls" rule, by the end of the game students were high fiving each other (boys high fiving girls, girls high fiving boys), respecting the 3 FT rule, and they were spread out (for the most part) making complete passes. I can't tell you how happy this makes me when a class works together peacefully, practicing team work and good sportsmanship! These moments are one of the many instances that make me go home at the end of the day and think "I love my job!". I knew most of the boys would be excited about this game, but to hear as many girls say, "Are we playing Ultimate Football again, Mrs. S?" made my day!
Here are a few snapshots from 3rd Grade playing Ultimate:
No comments:
Post a Comment