I know I know, when kids (and let's face it some adults, too!) hear they have to run-- most often you will hear a grunt, or a "NOOOOO", or "How long/far?" complete with a disgruntled look on their face. With the "training" leading up to the Buddy Run tomorrow, Friday, October 16th, while some days the kids complained about our warm-up, the past few weeks I've noticed a significant change in their attitude. Students were talking about "beating their finish line times" and saying "I'm going to do it without walking today". Small steps. Running can be extremely rewarding, and once you've run a race of some sort--from a 6K yo a marathon--I bet you could utter the words "that was fun."
A great way to promote fitness and fun for the whole family is to sign up for official races--while they are not free and require some sort of fee, many of the race fees go towards fundraising for a good cause. And, most of the longer races for adults have a "kids run" that is often free. I can confidently say that every student in my P.E classes could run a 5K. Whether you are "Strutting With Your Mut" or wearing a mustache in the Mustache Dash, running CAN BE FUN. Train together, race each other. Teach your kids at an early age the physical and emotional reward of working towards an end goal--or in this case a finish line!
Check out these local fun runs/races coming up in the next few months in the KC area:
OCTOBER 17--Waddell and Reed Downtown KC
OCTOBER 24--The Monster Dash--City Market
OCTOBER 27--Graveyard Run--Elmwood Graveyard
NOVEMBER 26--Thanksgiving Day 5K--Ward Parkway
November 26th--Pilgrim Run--Hyde Park
DECEMBER 6th--The Great Santa Run--Overland Park
DECEMBER 12th--Christmas Light Run--Country Club Plaza
APRIL 9th--Rock the Parkway--Ward Parkway
No comments:
Post a Comment