However, I want you, the parent, to understand what I grade your child on in P.E., as a reminder that your child's athletic and physical abilities are the last thing I consider when grading.
P.E. is physical education, but on most days the bigger lesson we are learning and practicing in P.E. is our SPEDS life skills.
In 1st-3rd grade your child receives an O, S, or NA for their P.E. grade. They are given this mark based on the following skills: participates in activities willingly, listens and follows directions, cooperates with peers, shows growth in skill levels. In 4th Grade they receive a letter grade based on the following skills: sportsmanship, participation, and shows growth in skill development.
When I rate your child's skills in P.E., and consider giving them a +, =, or -, I will admit that participation is the least of my worries--in fact, I don't think I've ever had a student that didn't show up to P.E. not ready to move! And second, your child's growth in physical skill is progressive. Each year there is a benchmark that is expected for their age with basic movement, fitness, cooperative and game skills. Each year it is expected that these skills improve throughout the year, and if I am concerned about skills like gross motor, hand eye coordination, cardiovascular ability, or inability to participate in a group, you would hear from me before you got your child's report card. We are very fortunate here at SPEDS that your child is given many various opportunities to learn and practice these skills from a very early age--in P.E., on the playground, and in after school sports. It is very rare that I see students that are not at the national standard for these skills, in fact most students are above average in these skills.
So, in looking at the team of children that come through my door every day, what is the most important skill in my mind? What skill would be important to me if it were my child? Sportsmanship.
When I rate your child's skills in P.E., and consider giving them a +, =, or -, I will admit that participation is the least of my worries--in fact, I don't think I've ever had a student that didn't show up to P.E. not ready to move! And second, your child's growth in physical skill is progressive. Each year there is a benchmark that is expected for their age with basic movement, fitness, cooperative and game skills. Each year it is expected that these skills improve throughout the year, and if I am concerned about skills like gross motor, hand eye coordination, cardiovascular ability, or inability to participate in a group, you would hear from me before you got your child's report card. We are very fortunate here at SPEDS that your child is given many various opportunities to learn and practice these skills from a very early age--in P.E., on the playground, and in after school sports. It is very rare that I see students that are not at the national standard for these skills, in fact most students are above average in these skills.
So, in looking at the team of children that come through my door every day, what is the most important skill in my mind? What skill would be important to me if it were my child? Sportsmanship.
At the beginning of the year, and in the weeks leading up to each grading period, I remind the students what I grade them on. I emphasize the fact that the skill that should matter most is their sportsmanship skill mark.
While having a positive association with physical movement is going to be important for the rest of their lives, sportsmanship is a representation of character--your child practicing 'who they are' on the field/court/playground.
The late Vince Lombardi, former great coach of the Green Bay Packers and the Washington Redskins, was famous for his statement, "Winning isn’t the most important thing; it’s the only thing!" Shortly before he died, he looked back at the quote and declared, "I wish I’d never said it. I meant the effort. I sure didn’t mean for people to crush human values and morality." My goal is to teach students that the very familiar statement I hear from students daily in my class (usually when a team has lost) " Hey guys, winning isn't everything", in my mind, it is NOT the most important thing. Sure, winning is a testament to to hard work and determination. But, if "winning at any cost" or "doing whatever it takes to win" is how we get there--it is not winning.
When I make the skill mark for sportsmanship, I refer to The American Association for Health, Physical Education, and Recreation fundamentals of sportsmanship. They are as follows:
Show respect for the opponent at all times. The opponents should be treated as guests; greeted cordially on arriving; given the best accommodations; and accorded the tolerance, honesty, and generosity which all human beings deserve.
The late Vince Lombardi, former great coach of the Green Bay Packers and the Washington Redskins, was famous for his statement, "Winning isn’t the most important thing; it’s the only thing!" Shortly before he died, he looked back at the quote and declared, "I wish I’d never said it. I meant the effort. I sure didn’t mean for people to crush human values and morality." My goal is to teach students that the very familiar statement I hear from students daily in my class (usually when a team has lost) " Hey guys, winning isn't everything", in my mind, it is NOT the most important thing. Sure, winning is a testament to to hard work and determination. But, if "winning at any cost" or "doing whatever it takes to win" is how we get there--it is not winning.
When I make the skill mark for sportsmanship, I refer to The American Association for Health, Physical Education, and Recreation fundamentals of sportsmanship. They are as follows:
Show respect for the opponent at all times. The opponents should be treated as guests; greeted cordially on arriving; given the best accommodations; and accorded the tolerance, honesty, and generosity which all human beings deserve.
A gesture (high five) or "good game" while looking the other students eyes is a way we practice this in P.E.
Show respect for the officials. Good sportsmanship implies the willingness to accept and abide by the decisions of the officials. To criticize the officials is to teach young people to disregard the "authority principle."
Show respect for the officials. Good sportsmanship implies the willingness to accept and abide by the decisions of the officials. To criticize the officials is to teach young people to disregard the "authority principle."
To challenge my decision when playing referee, or when giving a consequence to a student that is not playing fairly or being unsafe is an example of how this is practiced in P.E.
Know, understand, and appreciate the rules of the contest. A familiarity with the current rules of the game and the recognition of their necessity for a fair contest are essential. Good sportsmanship suggests the importance of conforming to the spirit as well as the letter of the rules.
Know, understand, and appreciate the rules of the contest. A familiarity with the current rules of the game and the recognition of their necessity for a fair contest are essential. Good sportsmanship suggests the importance of conforming to the spirit as well as the letter of the rules.
Time spent going over the rules before each game we play is essential in P.E. If I had a dollar for every time I say "Cheaters never really win and winners never cheat" or ask the question "Are you really winning if you cheat?" to aid as a reminder.
Maintain self-control at all times. A prerequisite of good sportsmanship is understanding that rational behavior and personal testimony are more important than the desire to win. Good sportsmanship is concerned with the behavior of all involved in the game (coach, players, cheerleaders, teachers, principal, pastor, parents, and other spectators).
Maintain self-control at all times. A prerequisite of good sportsmanship is understanding that rational behavior and personal testimony are more important than the desire to win. Good sportsmanship is concerned with the behavior of all involved in the game (coach, players, cheerleaders, teachers, principal, pastor, parents, and other spectators).
If students cannot follow these directions, I have a zero tolerance rule. P.E. is a chance they get to practice or feel the consequence of not practicing this skill.
Recognize and appreciate skill in performance, regardless of affiliation. Applause for an opponent’s good performance is a demonstration of generosity and good will that should not be looked on as treason. The ability to recognize quality in performance and the willingness to acknowledge it without regard to team membership is one of the most highly commendable gestures of good sportsmanship.
Recognize and appreciate skill in performance, regardless of affiliation. Applause for an opponent’s good performance is a demonstration of generosity and good will that should not be looked on as treason. The ability to recognize quality in performance and the willingness to acknowledge it without regard to team membership is one of the most highly commendable gestures of good sportsmanship.
Sometimes at the end of each class I will give out a "compliment" award to a student or team that best demonstrates the best sportsmanship. Sometimes I tell the students beforehand that I will be doing this, sometimes I don't. This is a chance to recognize students that are setting an example, and most often this is motivation for classmates to do the same. It works better than (or, maybe as well as) you'd think.
If you made it to the end of this, I thank you for taking the time to read something that I truly believe in, and truly matters to me in my daily teaching. Thank you for helping you child work towards a + if they have a =, a = if they have a -.
Bottom line: I can show and give your child the practice of physical skills. And, I can give them the experience to practice their sportsmanship skills in a variety of opportunities through games and sport. But, we can't just practice these skills in P.E. These skills need to be carried out in the classroom, after school, and at home in order for them to truly understand the importance. So, I thank you for your support. I thank you for giving me the chance to express the importance of a life (long) skill that matters.
No comments:
Post a Comment